Thursday, December 4, 2014

The next natural progression - more reseach and things!


Alright, so lets continue on in the picture ramblings of my progression related to van research.  



 I actually at the time worked at a lighting manufacturer, which gave me a bit of a hard thing for good lighting.  I wanted to use something from my workplace to light the bus...but as time went on, I knew I would have to just buy something.  LED's are the way to go though.  They allow me the ability to get the color, output and customizability, that other technologies just dont have.  This light below is a good representative of something I was initially thinking of doing, albeit not so.....uh....direct and blinding. 



Then, there was the busniess of trailers!  Yes, at the time I was towing things weekly with my little vw golf.  Including things such as a 2400 lb milling machine, lathe, 900 lb cast iron gang drilling press table, and enough other shit to fill my basement to the brim.  What more could I need?  

Of course! A beefier and stronger trailer......You and I were thinking the SAME thing.  So I found a few on Craigslist, but none of them came home with me.  They were too pricey for the same thing as what I had (capacity and size). 

More trailers.....nice but small...

YES!!!! But probably too heavy for my taste.  



On the flip side, the wife and I were also trying to figure out colors for the interior and the exterior.  SO many colors to choose from.  When you have a blank slate and the possibilities are endless, where do you start?  We tried to gather a few samples of appropriate fabrics, but its not as easy as you think to just happen across good materials.  We ended up going with materials we found at a local ....place...... but ill talk about that adventure later. 
 Leathers.....canvases......etc..


Ooo....that looks like a durable and nice looking seat material.  

Same with that! And on clearance!


Oh, and then theres also the business of safety.  I knew I would be needing to lift my van up for extended periods of time, and this would need to be done safely.  

So, the way I was raised, you used wood to save your life if something might just crush you.  So I went out to a craigslist posting about 40 miles away, to an old farmers house that had some 100 year old barn lumber.  This stuff was REAL.  I mean actually 6x6 or 8x8 or 10x10 inch square LOGS of hard ass oak.  This stuff could save my life I tell ya.  Below are some pics of what I saw when I arrived.  

So we basically got a chainsaw and he let me cut everything up that I needed.  Some of those pieces of wood were over 20 feet long and we couldnt have moved some of them without the skid steer.  It was a fun time.  I think I paid like $60 for 8 pcs of 8x8" or 10"x10" sections that are about 2 feet long each.  They were heavy, and loaded down the back of the golf quite a bit.  Peace of mind is priceless.
 Yeah there was a lot of lumber....


I also wanted to test my painting skills a bit, so I took my newly aquired band saw from CL, and painted it.  

Old black nasty....NIB though...
 New and pretty equipment that is easier on the eyes. 


WARNING:   CUTE  CAT  PHOTOS  ONLY  A  CAT  PERSON  WOULD  LOVE

How about THAT for a selfie?
 Dat wrinkley face.....



And, the one thing that I hate is when things just have to happen against everything you attempt to make it go your way.  I spotted this little son of a B on craigslist like, two weeks after I brought my van home.  I was ready to kill a mother.  I was tapped out for liquid cash and I couldnt safely buy this guy.....I am kicking myself in the ass to THIS DAY for not buying this guy.  

 

I hate life sometimes.....but you cant win them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment